Tuesday, August 10

If you had joined us on our evening walk the other night you would have probably been as delighted as I to see this amazing bird.  I was a bit surprised to see it right next to the road. It was quite tall and seemed able to bend its neck in various shapes.


At first I though it was a Great White Heron. That bird is almost never found outside of the Florida Keys and Everglades National Park though.



The black legs are the biggest clue that this is not a Great White Heron but a Great Egret. (The Great Egret is in the Heron family I believe, but the Heron has a grayish color on their very long legs.)

Their very long beak is perfect for catching fish and frogs. Sometime they will eat rodents, snakes, or grasshoppers. The Great Egret is about 39 inches tall.



I took pictures for a very long time without the bird seeing to mind. I loved the gracefulness of how it picked up its legs out of the tall greenery and slowly took each step.



But now ask the beasts, and they will teach you; And the birds of the air, and they will tell you...  Who among all these does not know That the hand of the LORD has done this, In whose hand is the life of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind?  Job 12

Sharon

3 comments:

  1. God has given us such a lot of variety to wonder at in His Creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful pictures. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God's blessings. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! I have never taken photos of an Egret.
    I liked the verse at the end too. Thanks for your nice comment on my photos. :-)

    Have a blessed day in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. <><

    1 Peter 1:4-9

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!