Thursday, January 6

Say 'Thank You'

Over the New Year I was privileged to spend some time with a sailor.

Cecil Edward Grayson had his beginnings in Indiana as the eighth of fourteen children.
Four boys in his family chose to serve our country in the military.  Ed couldn't wait until he was seventeen so he could serve in the United States Navy. His primary job on the ship was being the baker.  He told me how it was difficult to make bread successfully out at sea, especially if the water was rough.
I loved listening to him tell me of his memories or his service in World War II as a young man.  He boarded his ship, the USS Auriga, at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and got off in New Jersey when the war was done.
I am so thankful for men such as Ed who have given much for the freedoms we have and love even to this day.
His five Bronze Stars, his medals for the American Theater, Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation, the Asiatic Pacific, the Philippine Liberation, and the Victory Medal were impressive, but I am sure I do not know the half of what it really means for a sailor to have earned them.

After World War II, Ed married his sweetheart Alice; they have been married for 63 years.


If you haven't thanked someone in the military lately, today would be a good day to do that.  I was visually reminded last week that you don't always have tomorrow to say "Thank-You' to these fine people who serve us and our country. This sign names the highway after a man who gave his life in a more recent war.

I have told him privately and now I wish to say it publicly. 'Thank you Ed, for giving a few of your younger years to make this country a place I can love and cherish; a place where I can love and serve God without fear; a place that is dearer to me than any other country I have ever lived in or visited.'
 Sharon

3 comments:

  1. How sweet, very well done Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am extremely grateful for the sacrifice and service of our men and women in the U. S. military, both past and present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too often, I think we take for granted the sacrifices made for us by our country's military, both past and present. What a blessing it is to be able to talk to men like this, learning from their experiences and gleaning from their wisdom. They are a big part of why America is still here today - may we always take the opportunities to thank them!! Thanks for posting this reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!