Friday, October 7

The Seed in Itself


Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.   Genesis 1:11-12
a backyard Florida Grapefruit tree

I have really come to love these two verses.  Sometimes we glide over them- at least I did, because I have known them nearly all my life.  When I see a seed or fruit it is easy to glide over the stunning evidence that I am witnessing direct evidence of the truth in Genesis 1.

Just for fun, I threw some papaya seeds in a pot of dirt and watched their amazing growth.  I have no yard, so I gave the young shoots (around five inches at the time) to a friend who planted several in her yard.

Within a year's time the trees were very tall and producing yummy papayas in agreement with Genesis 1:11-12.
a papaya full of seeds from the plant I started 12 months prior.

I have never struggled with the question of evolution but many of our university students do.  In the last ten years, I have seen the power of these verses open the understanding in the student's mind of God and His creation over and over again.  
Reading the simple truth that God designed the plants to grow, flourish, produce, die, and then do it all over again within itself is stunning.  Many times the students tell us that down deep they had some reservations about evolution and seeing Genesis 1 first-hand helped dispel the darkness and reveal the One True God.

I have been noticing this timeless truth around me in the palm trees in Florida.  These seeds certainly came from with the tree.
 They then branched out in a wave of green glory.

Before long, the flowery bunches dry in the hot sun and produce seeds in abundance.
The orchid- a parasite, grows on the outside of many trees, 
not just palms, and is not a product of the tree itself.

It is an amazing cycle- one even the bees benefit from.

Here are some other palm seeds,"from within itself" to evidence God's amazing order and plan.


Palms bear dates, coconuts and other delicious fruits and seeds.  Technically a coconut is not in the nut family, but it is accurate to refer to the coconut as a nut, a seed, and a fruit.

  

There are many other evidences around me of God's everlasting truth in Genesis 1 such as the Sausage Tree...

or the Bottle Brush tree, which often holds it fruit close to the stems for several years before it releases the seeds.

One of my favorites here in Miami is the Tabebuia Tree.
It is pretty much behind the scene all year until about March when it explodes with colorful blooms in many colors.  Yellow is common around Miami.  The flowers usually cover the tree before any leave show forth.

This tree has very bug-resistant wood that is often used for decking or furniture.  Its bark is better known as Pau D'Arco, which can be made into a tea as a natural antibiotic.

Once the flowers are gone and the leaves appear, the seed pods are making their appearance to prove once again the God is the Creator of all and it is good!

The seed pod breaks open and the seeds flutter away on the wind or carried away by birds...

...or humans like me who are so fascinated by the simple but profound truth of creation.

Grapefruits bear grapefruits;  Coconut Palms produce Coconut palms;  monkeys produce monkeys;  Man bears Man.  There is no other way.  Look around you and see how many ways you can verify the truth of Genesis 1:11-12.  It isn't just in the trees, but when I see one such as this magnificent tree I can only worship with awe, the One who made the world, and the One Who made me!.

Sharon

2 comments:

  1. I love trees and have been fascinated by them since I was very little! Thank You, God, for trees and all that they provide for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! There we are hugging the tree! Love it! This is a great blog. We have an amazing God!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!