Saturday, March 3

This I Know

Michael and I recently enjoyed sitting in a local park that has a small pond.  From a distance we could see the many variety of birds swooping through the cloudy sky; children flying kites in the afternoon breeze; cattails in various stages of smooth brown fuzziness to fluffy creaminess spilling out of their long slender shape.
I eventually got off the bench and wandered down to the edge of the water. Near the reeds I spied this frilly little plant.  I do not know its name.

All at once I noticed a skinny little bug, crawling on the stem.

It certainly didn't seem to care about camouflage.

I had never seen such a critter and knew nothing of it so I determined to learn what I could of this bug.

Apparently it is a Milkweed Assassin Bug.  This one is young and has not yet developed its wings.

Assassin bugs are noted for a curved beak they use to eat their dinner.  After piercing their prey, they insert a toxin that liquiefies the muscles within seconds.  Yes, it sounds brutal-- the Assassin bug then sucks the liquid for its own nutrition.

I really know little about this bug and even less of the flower on which it was crawling.  But this I know... God's creative hand is written all over it.  The beautiful colors, the powerful beak, its miniature size yet packed with great ability, all speak of God's greatness.

“But now ask the beasts, and they will teach you;
 And the birds of the air, and they will tell you;
 Or speak to the earth, and it will teach you;
And the fish of the sea will explain to you.

Who among all these does not know
That the hand of the LORD has done this,
In whose hand is the life of every living thing,
And the breath of all mankind?"
                                           Job 12:7–10

If God cares enough to marvelously design the Assassin Bug-- a creature without an eternal soul, how much more He must love and care for me, made in His own image!
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. Love it. I too wondered about the bug. Then I finished reading the blog. You did the homework for me! I love the Job passage to go along with it all.
    Love you,
    Your sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only just learned a little about the bug; I am sure you could do some more 'homework' and find a lot more. Tho not a particular bug-lover, it is amazing to learn of God's creatures!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned something new from your post on this fascinating bug! He sure is colorful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!