Saturday, May 12

Water

day two:

We awoke to much cooler temperatures in northern Florida, but the day started out beautiful as we headed West.

The clear blue skies began to acquire a high haze as we drove and eventually turned to rain.  Though we encountered no love bugs today, our car was thoroughly washed... again.  :)

I noticed many water towers today along the way.  Did you know that every town has one?

They play an important role in the water supply each day as residents use water for bathing, brushing teeth, washing clothes and many other functions we take for granted each day.

Okay, they usually aren't that pretty, but it is nice to know that I will have water tomorrow morning wherever I am.

They are often 130 feet tall but can be shorter or taller than that.  Most of the ones I saw today were somewhat round, but they can be pretty much any shape.

This was in Pensacola FL., just before we crossed over part of the Gulf area to get to Alabama.

I was focused on the beautiful water and didn't even see the water tower in the background-- indicating another town in the distance.




This caught our eye at one of the rest stops in Alabama. 
Water towers often have the name of the town painted on the side, helping pilots navigate as they fly-- probably not these kind of planes though.  :)


All along Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi we saw the Magnolia trees in bloom.


 These flowers amaze me in their whiteness, fragrance and size.


Even as their time of show begins to expire, I find beauty in each phase.


Alabamans like water too, and I found water towers there also.
An average water tower keeps about a day's supply for the city.

The height of the tower is important because it is what decides how much water pressure is delivered to each house and business.  (Thank you God for gravity.)

This man was enjoying water today-- for fishing, somewhere along the Alabama/Mississippi border.

Yes... I found some water towers in Mississippi too.  :)


I don't even know where the water tower is in my city.  Have you seen yours?


Those in Mississippi also like to eat what comes from the water.  I have never eaten a po-boy but I hear the submarine-like sandwich is very tasty.


Louisiana has much water, and not all in a water tower.  This is part of the Atachafalaya Swamp.


Even with the overcast sky, it was something to wonder at from a distance.  I would love to know what critters, birds, and fish are lurking down there.


This part of the highway goes on for 18 miles over the Swamp.




This water tower in Louisiana boasts that their town is the crawfish capital of the world.  Somehow I just might believe that.

We will rest here in Louisiana for the night.
These amazing plants are in Florida as well, but thought you might enjoy a close up view.

Can you see someone hiding from me??

Even the plants are in need of water, though they get most of it from the skies and not a water tower.


Time for an evening snack... I think I'll have a glass of water.
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!