Monday, May 13

A Walk in the Swamp

For my birthday, my husband took me to a swamp (at my request) ~ a 13,000 acre Audubon Nature Preserve on the western coast of Florida, to be exact.

The Swamp boasts of owls, panthers, snakes, bob cats, raccoon, large waterbirds, red-shouldered hawks and many other amazing critters of God's Hand.  Because it is the end of dry season, the Swamp was virtually dry and many of the animals were in hiding or vacationing elsewhere.  There was no lack of loveliness to gaze upon, however.

Would you like to join me for my walk?


Despite the heat of the day, the dense tree growth provided cool shade for a lovely 2.5 mile journey on the boardwalk.


I can't show all of my photos, but a few might help you see His amazing work.







Four deer were grazing in a dry part of the Swamp.  They eventually crossed over the boardwalk where a cutout has been made for the bigger animals to use.



These are not vines growing up the tree, rather a type of fig tree pushing its roots down towards the ground after a seed was dropped in a crevice above (probably by a bird).  There were several examples of this in the Swamp.



 

This is a nursery log- a naturally fallen tree that is home to the birthplace and nursery of hundreds of new plants in the Swamp, occurring just as God has said.



Verily, verily, I say unto you,
Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die,
it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit
John 12:24



This fellow was sunning near a small, swampy puddle.  Perhaps he is smiling, knowing rainy season is just around the corner and his world will soon be filled with water.
Personally- I don't trust his smile... no matter the reason.



Mama was in another puddle, gladly showing her teeth;


Her eleven babies were close at hand, learning their way in the world.


In many trees, part way up the trunk, we could see a variety of air plants.  These do not harm the trees, but use them as a host.  This one was rather large.




This had to be one of my favorites of the day. I believe it is called a Button Bush.  It doesn't look like a button to me, but it does look like the work of a Mighty God- One willing to cause these beauties to grow and flourish in the middle of a swamp even if no one else ever sees them.


Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: 
for thou hast created all things,
and for thy pleasure they are and were created. 
Revelation 4:11

Sharon


1 comment:

  1. The beauty and variety of God's creation never ceases to amaze me! Even if nobody sees and admires all His works, they bring Him pleasure. The button bush is very interesting! I am glad you and Mike had that special time in honor of your birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!