Saturday, March 1

Thankful

Winter is good, and though I don't enjoy being cold, I see many blessings that come from winter.  Having lived in tropical regions for 14 years I noticed the lack of winter has it's own difficulties.

~ People rarely slow down when the sun shines every day, all year long.  There is little time taken for quiet spells with family members, curling up with a good book, enjoying a cup of hot cocoa near the fire, or pausing to reflect on the goodness of the Lord.  We just go, go, go.

~ With lack of bitter cold, many insects and critters never die off;  mosquitoes bite constantly, lizards abound, and a host of other pesky guys are constant companions year round.

~ No need to wrap yourself in grandma's hand made quilt in the sweltering sun.  :)

Having said all that, I am looking forward to Spring... officially 18 days away.  The little flower springing up in the crack of the walkway has me pondering other things I am thankful for today:
~ tea, blueberry pie, and fellowship with a friend
~ God's call on my life to serve Him
~ slippers
~ my camera
~ a husband who bought me boots to wear this first winter out of the tropics
~ God's provision for three meals today
~ parents who led me in truth
~ the old hymns

The list could be endless, for if I were to list them all, God would have already added to it with His never-ending grace and mercy.

What are you thankful for today?  Feel like sharing? Leave us a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. I too am thankful for the old hymns! Today the song "Immortal, Invisible, God only wise; in light inaccessible, hid from our eyes. . . " was going through my mind!

    Other things I am grateful for today: my kind and helpful doctor and his friendly, cheerful nurse; a car to use for errands and to bring a friend with me to exercise class; dark chocolate; birds at my feeders; a second healthy grandchild on the way; the ability to laugh at myself; the sunshine on this wintery day; and sooooo much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I love this post! Your bluets are far ahead of ours and your little bird is so cheery. But mostly, I love the words, just perfect. So, I'll wrap up in a quilt tonight, and think about the things I'm thankful for.
    Like you, I'm grateful for parents who demonstrated their love for God. Now the hymn from the previous comment is running through my head, and I'm thankful for all the ice and snow we have to discourage insects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!