Saturday, July 12

Javelins and Goats


   “A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
Proverbs 1:5

Many years ago, a few weeks after our arrival in north east India, the Bible college where we would be serving hosted their annual sports week.  The nationals called me 'new bride' because absolutely everything was radically different than my previously known world... the food, cooking, my clothes, transportation, culture- even the smells.  It was in this dazed sort of mind I watched the students compete in such games as: ping pong, fancy-dress costume, volleyball, ring, and javelin throwing.


Hoicye, one of my sweet tribal students, asked me if I wanted to learn how to throw the javelin.  She could wield the bamboo javelin (about 7 feet long), thrust it into the air and make it stick in the intended target every time.   Being a little shy and not inclined to sports, I declined the opportunity to throw a javelin.  A choice I now regret.

I now realize there are so many delightful things to learn in life, and not enough time to explore them all.  If I could rewind the clock, I would definitely accept the offer of learning to toss a javelin during sports week.


   “Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; 
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.” 
Proverbs 9:9


Recently, I have had the opportunity to grow a patch of herbs for the first time, 
pick blueberries, and meet some goats... up close and personal.  
This cutie is Jemimah.
Though country living is not in my background and we are here for just a short spell, I often remember my missed opportunity to throw a javelin and have decided to be brave.

A few months ago I watched Jemimah give birth to her baby, and now, I have learned how to milk a goat.


Learning just for the sake of knowledge can puff one up and result in pride, but soaking in all the wonderful things God has created and learning about them has deepened my awe of who He is. 
                  Sometimes, He is just too wonderful for words.
              

Perhaps learning how to throw a javelin or milk a goat is not high on your priority list, but there is something at your fingertips just waiting to be explored that will increase your love for the Master; something that you could use to bless others; something to gain so that God's work will be furthered.  
   Be brave.
   Be diligent.
   Enjoy!

   “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.” 
Proverbs 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we welcome your visit to our blog!